Friday, April 30, 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Yet another contemporary read that many of my friends recommended was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer. This too was remarkable. I was a little wary when I opened the front page to find the entire text was written in the form of letters, but my wariness soon wore off as I began to be entranced in the lives of the characters who were writing the letters. I had no idea what to expect from this book. The last time my friends recommended a book that I had no idea what it was about I ended up reading Twilight. Not wanting to make that mistake again, but still believing that there might be something worthy in the book, I took my chances. Who would've thought that it would actually be a book not about literary societies, not about cooking, and not about romance, but a book about war and love. Notice that I do not consider love and romance to be the same thing. Well, I love reading about war and I tolerate a good love story, especially one filled with realistic characters and this book was just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment