Monday, February 9, 2009

Calico Bush

I just finished reading a great book called "Calico Bush" by Rachel Field. It is a colonization/pioneer story set on the coast of Maine. It was written for children, but I think it would make an excellent read for all ages. It's one of those books that had me interested from the first sentence and the action never seemed to lag. It includes adventures at sea, run-ins with Native Americans, a love story, heartache and happiness. The main character is a 13 year old girl whose courage during the rough times surpasses that of even grown men. There is folklore, poetry, ballads, and dancing. There are beautiful descriptions of the Maine coast, it's islands and all the things that grow on them. There are pioneer classics, like a Raising, a corn shelling, and a maypole dance. It has beautiful and detailed descriptions of different fabrics and how they played a role in the people's lives at the time. In short, it has everything for any age reader. I think I'll have to add this one to my list of books to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment