Monday, February 23, 2009

Quest for a Maid

My friend recommended this book because she loves it. I too enjoyed the book. It's a historical fiction which is my favorite genre. It's setting is Scotland during medieval times. Once I got past the difficulty of understanding the words that represented the local dialect, I was enthralled. This story has all the elements of adventure such as murder, witchcraft, near drownings, daring rescues, a shipwreck, sword fights, and even a love triangle. It also includes lovable and interesting characters as well as the timeless emotions and character traits that make these people seem real. I think one thing that makes this story interesting is that the villian is actually a person who is much loved by the heroine. Myself, I was glad to see this wayward character brought to justice in the end, but others might not see things so black and white. That of course is one reason why I would recommend it to others, to see the difference in opinions that makes life exciting. It is also why I will probably read it again someday and see if I do or do not have the same opinion. One thing that will help for the next time I read it is that I now know that the book comes with a glossary of words in the back, which could help with the understanding a little. For instance, who knew that kirk was the work for church? If nothing else, I've broadened my horizon as far as knowledge of other languages goes. Some day it could come in handy. In the meantime, it was a fun read.

No comments:

Post a Comment